Thursday, October 20, 2005

Envy


Riding up to the redlight, I couldn't take my eyes off the brand-new Porsche Turbo 2 in the car lane next me . As I admired the well-polished shine, I thought of an article I'd read recently, flaunting the car's razor-sharp handling and breakneck acceleration. "If only I were driving that car," I thought to myself, $115,000 price tag in mind. As I pulled alongside, I glanced through the jet-black tinted window. The driver, clad in suit and tie, was screaming into his cell phone. I wasn't surprised until our eyes met for a brief moment. Across his face were looks of awe and envy. Here I was, upset with the traffic lights, impatient on getting to my favorite trailhead, irritated with the fact that I had to ride my mountain bike on the asphalt -- and this rich guy was jealous.
The light soon changed and our paths separated. As I made it to my destination, I thought about my morning and my life compared to the businessman's. I was flowing through the hills, screaming down steep descents and around tight singletrack; the guy in the Porsche was most likely still in traffic, still arguing on his phone and dreading another day at work. The mountain bike has given me a deep tan, well-toned legs, a healthy heart, and a stable, sound mind. The businessman's high-paying job has probably rewarded him with high blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome and the need for a weekly couch session with a top-dollar psychiatrist. His jealousy became clear: In a way, I was the wealthier. After all, his super-chic Porsche Turbo had to be rounded up, just like all the other cattle, from gate to gate in gridlock traffic.
As cyclists, we've all made a decision. We've made the choice to take care of ourselves and enjoy life. We're portrayed in countless advertisements, from deodorant to pickup trucks. The reason? We represent a healthy, independent lifestyle. The sense of freedom and adventure we experience as we ride is something money can't buy. This feeling can only happen when you swing a leg over the toptube, clip in and take off.

4 comments:

Joy Joy said...

Geez Ara, I kinda just shed a tear! I told Dozer of all the wise things you said (he's at work with me) and he agreed that you are quite the philosopher. But...."Well Toned Legs"?....Good work

Christie said...

excellent post, Ara! You are an outstanding writer and great *philosopher* as Joy said..

Sharpie said...

yeah, yeah...FAG.

Vegas said...

...Til my Bones Collapse...