Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Solstice


The cold chill of winter is upon us. Freezing to the bone on the way home from work, I longed for those warm days and nights. Summer has always been my favorite season. When I was a child, I never went on any fancy vacations with the family, but that didn’t put a damper on things. Summer still meant freedom and adventure. It meant being able to ride your bike from dawn to dusk, exploring as much of my little corner of the world as my two wheels could take me. For a few short months, there was no responsibility of classes or homework. It was all about where I was going to pedal next and what I was going to discover when I got there. A time where the Verdugo Hills were my Alps.
As I grew older, my primary mode of transportation changed. Internal combustion stretched the boundaries of my world tenfold. It let me cover ground faster, and see and experience more than I ever could have imagined in my post-training wheel days. But the more intricate the form of transport, the more complicated it becomes. Maintenance, insurance and the cost of operation are necessary evils. And that’s when the simplicity of two wheels, two pedals and one chain came calling again.
Combining a bike with a fossil fuel burning vehicle then became an ideal means of escape, and summer was the best time to put responsibilities on hold for a few weeks and hit the road. Loading up the Hyundai/Mitsubishi Precis hatchback, custom built chicken-wire grill built by my father ,praying with Short-stack , hoping the 4-cylinder box with no air conditioning makes it to Mammoth Mountain. Crammed in the back of the truck cab, Talin's gleaming smile as we headed towards Yosemite. She almost burned down Mammoth itself with a marshmellow fire-ball, hence the big smile. The memories I have of those adventures are some of my most valued possessions. A quest for adventure, armed with bikes, in the companionship of friends old enough to know better yet still young to care, gave me enough adventure stories to break down an entire generation of grandchildren to tears of boredom. The roads to singletrack in Washington , races in Arizona, the legendary trails of Utah and a few detours in Oregon are some of the highlights. Different friends bring different memories.
Lately, it seems like another stage of that cycle has hit. A handful of summers have since passed those daysm and it seems like my friends and I find the road trips fewer and farther between. Like riding your way into racing shape, the career, the relationship, the mortgage require time in the saddle, and we all know that theres only so much of that in a given day.
It may have seemed pathetic, but on my last trip to Mammoth Mountain with the team, I visited some of the same places I went on a previous mountain bike journey couple of years ago with three friends. The landmarks were still there – a fresh coat of paint on the greasy spoon, another owner running the same local shop- different yet the same. It made me realize that another summer will be coming soon, and maybe its not too late to get the band back together one more time. Off-key and a few beats behind isn’t an ideal way to spend a summer, so I wouldn’t recommend it, but whatever you do, make it count.

4 comments:

Sharpie said...

Well, with such musical talent as Cher, and Gwen Stafanian in the Armenian music pool, I highly doubt
that you and "the band" will be out of tune that much. And you will have two new back-up singers this year (Joy and Dawn) to help out!

C

Vegas said...

I didn't even read this yet, but the pic looks cool. Fuzzy wrote it so i'm sure it's great. I'll read it later.

Hey dude, how do I put a pic into my profile???

Sharpie said...

Hey, how come Fuzzy leaves more comments on Vegas' blog than on his team blog? Hey Ara, let's meet at your place for a ride at 8! Oh wait, that probably changed while I was sleeping. JUST JOKIN!! When can we get Vegas out for a ride so I can pass him on his KONA? Ooohh, a KONA, doesn't some crusty tatoo-necked freak who lives in the basement of his mom's outhouse race on a KONA? :)
C

Vegas said...

I just read it now before I slip off to sleepyland and I know it will make for wonderful dream fodder. Experience only heightens your ability to play, my friend. And a new instrument or different bandmates can make practicing all the more enjoyable.

Looking back at past pleasures and relishing in them is fine, but looking forward to basking in new ones is time better spent...


O Craptain, you shall rue the day you trod upon the fair Kona name.

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger...and you will know my name is The Bob.